Since the Covid-19 outbreak, there has been a lot of uncertainty. Law firms and companies found employees’ wellness all of a sudden became of paramount importance, not just in terms of their employees’ physical wellbeing but additionally in terms of their productivity and legal compliance. It is vital to consider both physical and mental health during these challenging times. Both the threat of Covid-19 and the effects of lockdown isolation come into the mix to turn physical and mental health issues to the forefront as a topic of conversation daily.
A study by the Mental Health Association of Hong Kong has revealed that 87% of Hong Kong employees are suffering stress during the pandemic. Like everyone, lawyers have worries, which could include organizing childcare, caring for family members with Covid-19, and job security. The effects of stress vary from person to person, but they include sleeping less, feeling anxious, headaches, gaining weight, being distracted at work, etc.
To safeguard our mental wellbeing, there’re 5 simple ways we can help to mitigate the impacts brought by stress and anxiety.
- Exercise- try and make time for at least 30 minutes of exercise a day as it is a proven method for improving one’s mood and mental wellbeing.
- Be social- make time to interact with your friends in person and take a break from work. With the lockdown, try to organize virtual get-togethers or smaller gatherings where possible.
- Keep your workspace simple- law may be complex and stressful, but there are ways to make other elements of your working life easier for yourself. Start tidying your workspace- a clear desk amounts to a clear mind.
- Make time for your hobby- pick up and develop a hobby, or rediscover an old pastime that you loved previously.
- Do not be afraid to seek help or advice from professionals if things begin to get beyond your control.
Hughes-Castell Wellness Corner also compiled a selection of online sources to help lawyers maintain mental and physical well-being during Covid-19. These resources are a selection from key organizations in the field:
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) advice for the public
- Covid-19 Hub by LawCare
- Most watched workout video: Get Abs in 2 WEEKS
- Hughes-Castell x Elizabeth Louie Online Yoga Class
Contributors: Austin Lee (Business Development & Client Account Manager, Hughes-Castell) & Fai Choi (Marketing Manager, Hughes-Castell)