Welcome! What can we do for you today?
- The Lion City awakensGreater China, traditionally a major Asian powerhouse of lateral hires, witnessed a quiet 2022. On the other hand, Singapore had a strong Q3 and moved ahead of Hong Kong, China, and India as the joint busiest hiring market in Asian Pacific, alongside Australia. The lateral hiring markets in Japan, Thailand, and Indonesia grew stably in Q3. Despite several economic headwinds, Corporate/M&A/Capital Markets practices remain the top partner recruiting areas in the Asia Pacific, despite a 48% drop from 2021. Real Estate and Employment remained stable in term of hiring numbers compared to 2021. The top partner recruiter so far inContinue reading “The Lion City awakens“
- Legal Move Updates (Oct – Dec 2022)Editor’s note: This is an ongoing list. December 5 December – Ashurst (Hong Kong, China) London-headquartered Ashurst has hired restructuring and insolvency expert Lance Jiang as a partner in Hong Kong from Addleshaw Goddard, which recently closed its office in the Chinese city. With this move, Jiang becomes the latest Addleshaws Hong Kong partner to find a new home, after litigator Janie Wong, who moved to Howse Williams, and disputes head Ronald Sum, who joined Baker McKenzie. Jiang has more than 20 years of experience and advises on cross-border restructurings and insolvencies with a Chinese element. He joined Addleshaw GoddardContinue reading “Legal Move Updates (Oct – Dec 2022)”
- Baker Botts Redraws Asia Strategy Map With Singapore OpeningAt the end of 2021 Baker Botts announced it was closing its Hong Kong office, just over a year after shuttering its Beijing premises, bringing to an end a 16-year physical presence in Greater China, and Asia as a whole. Not only was this the latest in a number of law firm withdrawals from the region, it was also part of a trend of energy-focused firms seemingly giving up on Asia (Locke Lord and Vinson & Elkins made their own exits belatedly official in late 2020). As with the other two firms, Baker Botts had allowed headcount to dwindle, inContinue reading “Baker Botts Redraws Asia Strategy Map With Singapore Opening”
- Preparing for your lateral moveMaking a lateral move is arguably the most significant part of a private practitioner’s career after making partner, so making this decision is contingent on a number of important factors including timing, cultural fit, business compatibility and long-term planning. Let us help you take the first step in your lateral move. Why a lateral move? There are many reasons for making a lateral move, including better remuneration, faster progression to equity, access to a larger/more blue-chip client base, relocation to other markets, or joining a more prestigious firm. It may be that you have reached a glass ceiling where youContinue reading “Preparing for your lateral move”
- Home Comforts for Singapore’s Big HittersThe perceived wisdom is that Singapore will pose an increasing threat to Hong Kong in attracting legal talent as the latter sticks doggedly to a Zero-Covid target policy which involves stricter social distancing and quarantine requirements than elsewhere. This continues to curtail business travel, undermining Hong Kong’s acknowledged status as an international hub, and places added burdens on families seeking to reconnect with loved ones overseas during the school break. Moves such as Sidley Austin’s hire of private equity partner Daniel Lindsay from Goodwin Proctor and relocation from Hong Kong to Singapore are expected to set the pattern. Singapore remainsContinue reading “Home Comforts for Singapore’s Big Hitters”
Who We Are
We were the first legal and compliance recruitment consultancy to target Asia, starting in 1985 in London. In 2016, we celebrated over 30 years in Asia Pacific. Hughes-Castell is a specialist recruitment agency that focuses solely on legal and compliance recruitment.
Work With Us
Founded by Helen Castell, a pioneer in legal recruitment, Hughes-Castell takes great pride in her legacy of personal, ethical recruitment advice based on deep-rooted knowledge and understanding.
- Focus: We carefully select and counsel candidates to ensure a truly perfect fit.
- Longevity: We achieve long-lasting, strategic legal and compliance placements.
- Integrity: Expert and ethical recruitment advice to proactively help candidates to achieve a fulfilling, long-term career.
- Commitment: We deliver a timely, highly selective and professional service to exceed expectations.
For more information on in-house/private practice recruitment or opportunities, please give us a call or reach out using the contact form below — let’s start the conversation.
Get in Touch
China Headquarters: Shanghai (86) 21 2206-1200 / email@example.com
Send Us a Message
Copyright Hughes-Castell – All rights reserved