Welcome! What can we do for you today?
- Women in Law – Asia PacificIn Asia Pacific, women have made significant progress in the legal sector in recent years. Currently, women lead the Asian operations of at least six global firms. They include Ashurst’s Head of Asia Jini Lee; Clifford Chance’s Asia Pacific regional Managing Partner Connie Heng; Herbert Smith Freehill’s Asia Managing Partner May Tai; Linklaters’ Asia Managing Partner Nathalie Hobbs; Sidley Austin’s Asia Pacific Managing Partner Constance Choy; and Shearman & Sterling’s Asia Regional Managing Partner Lorna Chen.  In addition, Nguyen Thi Lang was appointed the first female chair of an international law firm in Vietnam in 2021. But the statusContinue reading “Women in Law – Asia Pacific”
- The Legal Sector’s Reply to ChatGPTWith the boom in ChatGPT, a generative AI, the legal sector is trying to figure out how the advance AI applies to the market. Here are some law firms’ reactions to ChatGPT. Clayton UTZ (21 Feb 2023) – The age of the self-driving bureaucracy? ChatGPT and the Public Sector (https://www.claytonutz.com/knowledge/2023/february/the-age-of-the-self-driving-bureaucracy-chatgpt-and-the-public-sector) Allen & Overy (15 Feb 2023) – Magic circle firm rolls out “gamechanger” ChatGPT-type platform ( https://www.lawgazette.co.uk/news/magic-circle-firm-rolls-out-gamechanger-chatgpt-type-platform/5115150.article) Allens (15 Feb 2023) – ChatGPT in law: unlocking new opportunities while managing the risks (https://www.allens.com.au/insights-news/insights/2023/02/ChatGPT-in-law/) Andries Law Firm (13 Feb 2023) – Is ChatGPT safe to use from a legal standpoint? (https://www.andrieslawfirm.com/is-chatgpt-safe-to-use-from-a-legal-standpoint/)Continue reading “The Legal Sector’s Reply to ChatGPT”
- ChatGPT: do the benefits outweigh the potential pitfalls?What is ChatGPT? ChatGPT is an AI chatbot system developed by OpenAI which uses large databases of language to generate human conversational text based on the context of the conversation. “GPT” means Generative Pre-training Transformer architecture, a neural network designed for natural language processing tasks. It uses its pre-trained massive databases from the internet to intake inputs and almost instantly prompts and generates the appropriate response in a natural, human, and conversational text structure. You can ask anything on ChatGPT; in doing this, you help the company to improve the software. ChatGPT, an opportunity or a challenge? Since its releaseContinue reading “ChatGPT: do the benefits outweigh the potential pitfalls?”
- Legal Move Updates (Jan – Mar 2023)Editor’s note: This is an ongoing list. March 24 Mar – Mishcon de Reya (Singapore, Singapore) Mishcon de Reya has promoted eight of its lawyers to partner—fewer than half the number made up the previous year. The law firm has promoted a single lawyer, Singapore-based Hong Chong Yi, to equity partner—as well as seven lawyers to junior equity partners. (from http://www.law.com) 22 Mar – Cooley (Beijing, Shanghai, & Hong Kong, China) Cooley announced a new generation of leadership in three of its Asia offices. Xun Zeng and Michael Yu have been appointed as the first-ever partners in charge in theContinue reading “Legal Move Updates (Jan – Mar 2023)”
- A Challenging Year: An Appraisal of the Chinese Legal Market in 2022Vicky Liu, Director at Hughes-Castell, is held in high esteem by clients and candidates in China’s legal market. In this interview with Agnes Wang from China Business Law Podcast, she discusses what China’s legal market looked like in 2022 under the influence of the pandemic, and the trends of Chinese and foreign law firms in China. Q: Vicky, please describe the Greater China legal market in 2022. In 2023, although law firms’ businesses in the region were generally quiet, some practices were busy during the year: dispute resolution (including international arbitration, restructuring & insolvency), IP, TMT/data privacy/cyber security, and complianceContinue reading “A Challenging Year: An Appraisal of the Chinese Legal Market in 2022”
Who We Are
We were the first legal and compliance recruitment consultancy to target Asia, starting in 1985 in London. In 2016, we celebrated over 30 years in Asia Pacific. Hughes-Castell is a specialist recruitment agency that focuses solely on legal and compliance recruitment.
Work With Us
Founded by Helen Castell, a pioneer in legal recruitment, Hughes-Castell takes great pride in her legacy of personal, ethical recruitment advice based on deep-rooted knowledge and understanding.
- Focus: We carefully select and counsel candidates to ensure a truly perfect fit.
- Longevity: We achieve long-lasting, strategic legal and compliance placements.
- Integrity: Expert and ethical recruitment advice to proactively help candidates to achieve a fulfilling, long-term career.
- Commitment: We deliver a timely, highly selective and professional service to exceed expectations.
For more information on in-house/private practice recruitment or opportunities, please give us a call or reach out using the contact form below — let’s start the conversation.
Get in Touch
Asia Headquarters: (852) 2520-1168 / firstname.lastname@example.org
China Headquarters: Shanghai (86) 21 2206-1200 / email@example.com
Send Us a Message
Copyright Hughes-Castell – All rights reserved